What is IPAA?

IPAA stands for Iranian Psychological Association. IPAA is a non-profit professional organization comprising of members who are graduate students, psychologists, clinical psychologists, MFTs, MSCW, Social workers and others affiliated with the field of psychology.


How does IPAA help graduate students?

IPAA provides education of current issue and/or theoretical approaches in the field of psychology and networking opportunities to graduate students and all other members. 


How can I qualify as a presenter for IPAA?

In order to present at one of the IPAA monthly meetings, you need to meet the following criteria:

  • Be a licensed psychologist

  • Have a topic of interest that is up to date with the most current research findings

  • Submit a request to present to the president of IPAA (Dr. Modarressi) for review


Who is a Psychologist?

According to section 2903, “no person may engage in the practice of psychology or represent himself or herself to be a psychologist without a license…” 


Section 2902 states: “A person represents himself or herself to be a psychologist    when the person holds himself or herself out to the public by any title or description of services incorporating the words ‘psychology,’ psychological,’ ‘psychologist,’ ‘psychology consultation,’ ‘psychologyconsultant,’ ‘psychometry,’ ‘psychoanalysis,’ or ‘psychoanalyst,’ or when the person holds       himself or herself out to be trained, experienced, or an expert in the field of psychology.”


Who is a Psychotherapist?

According to Section 1010, “psychotherapist means a person who is, or is   reasonably believed by a patient to be:

  • Authorized to practiced medicine and devotes a substantial portion of time to the practice of psychiatry;

  • A licensed psychologist;

  • A licensed as a clinical social worker;

  • A school psychologist;

  • A licensed marriage and family therapist;

  • A registered psychological assistant who is under supervision of a licensed psychologist or board certified psychiatrist;

  • A registered marriage and family therapist under the supervision of a licensed MFT, licensed clinical social worker, licensed psychologist, or license  physician certified in psychiatry;

  • A person registered as an associate social worker under the supervision of a licensed clinical social worker, licensed psychologist, or license  physician certified in psychiatry;

  • A person exempt from the Psychology Licensing Law who is under supervision of licensed psychologist or board certified psychiatrist’

  • A psychological intern as defined in Section 2911

  • A trainee as defined in Section 4980.03

  • A person licensed as registered nurse (Section 2700 and Section 2838)

  • A person rendering mental health treatment or counseling services as authorized pursuant to Section 6924 of the Family Code.


How does one become licensed?

In order to qualify for licensure in California, you need:

  • To possess a doctoral degree in psychology, educational psychology, or in education with a field of specialization in counseling psychology or educational psychology from a regionally accredited or a BPPVE approved academic institution

  • To complete 1500 pre-doctoral hours and 1500 post-doctoral hours for a total of 3,000 hours.

  • Have “Live Scan” fingerprints for a criminal history clearance.  Live Scan sites are located throughout the state at various locations within each county.

  • Submit evidence of completing coursework in human sexuality, child abuse, substance abuse, spousal abuse, and aging and long-term care. For further information about the specific requirements for each course, please review Sections 1382 through 1382.5 of the California Code of Regulations at

  • To take and pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) and the California Psychology Supplemental Examination (CPSE).

  • For more information, please visit www.asppb.org  or the state psychology licensing board(s) directly.


How many hours of continuing education do I need to accrue in order to renew my license?

In order to renew a psychology license, the licensee must have accrued at least 36 hours of qualifying continuing education within the two year period immediately preceding the expiration date of the license. If this is the psychologist's first renewal and his or her initial license was in effect for less then 24 months, the continuing education requirements are pro-rated at 1.5 hours per month or partial month. For example, if a license was issued February 15, 1998 and is due to expire on May 31, 1999, the license will be in effect for 16 months or partial months for a total of 24 hours of continuing education required for renewal (Section 2915 of the Business and Professions)


Do I have to take any specific courses to meet the board's continuing education requirements?

Any person applying for renewal who began graduate study prior to January 1, 2004, is required to take a continuing education course in spousal or partner abuse assessment, detection, and intervention strategies during his or her first renewal period after January 1, 2004 and shall provide written evidence to the board of  completion of a course in spousal or partner abuse assessment, detection, intervention strategies. Equivalent teaching or practice experience may be submitted and accepted by the board of this requirement.


What topics must a laws and ethics continuing education course cover?

This course shall cover laws and regulations related to the practice of psychology; recent changes/updates in ethics codes and practice; current accepted standards of practice; and application of ethical principles in the independent practice of psychology.


 How do I qualify for free Continuing Education units at IPAA?

All IPAA members qualify for free CE credits.

  • For Psychologists: IPAA is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education programs for psychologists. IPAA maintains responsibility for this program and its content.

  • For MFTs and LCSWs:  IPAA is an approved provider of the continuing education programs by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Provider #PCE 3811  


Can a psychologist who is licensed in another state or province, practice in California prior to obtaining a CA license?

Section 2946 of the CA Business & Professions Code allows a psychologist licensed in another state or province to practice in CA for up to 180 days after submitting their application to become licensed in CA or from the date they took up residency in CA, whichever came first. Additionally, section 2912 of the Business & Professions Code allows a person licensed as a psychologist in another state or province to provide psychological services in CA without obtaining a license, for no more than 30 calendar days per year. 



For information regarding accredited psychology programs and current credited and unaccredited schools, please visit http://www.psychboard.ca.gov/exams/unaccredcal.shtml


For more information about Laws and Regulations relating to the practice of psychology please visit http://www.psychboard.ca.gov/lawsregs/2009lawsregs.pdf